Volunteer Tips and Tools
Welcome to your “Tips and Tools” resource page. We constantly search for new and valuable ideas and best practices to share with you on this page.
You’ll find suggestions on everything from successful product sales to crafts, to building relationships to troop websites. Take some time to browse.
And you can help us build this page by sharing useful resources you find! If you have something to share, please send it to Katherine Parsons.
Touching the Lives of Others
Helping you Work with Girls
- Venture Out! Outdoor Resource (Interactive Resource)
- Five Camp Songs Every Girl Scout Should Know (Video Clips)
- Selecting a Journey (Activity Sampler)
- KISS (Keep It Short and Simple) Notes for Working on Journeys NOTE: From Girl Scouts of Eastern Missouri (Activity Sampler)
- Girl Sports! From GSUSA (Activity Program)
- No Bullies! (Activity Program)
- “I Can Be…” Barbie/Mattel Resource for Girl Scout Daisies and Brownies (Activity Guide)
- Financial Empowerment! From GSUSA (Activity Program)
- Girl Planning: Helping Girls Lead (PDF)
- Quick Start Toolkit for Daisy, Brownie and Junior Troops (Interactive Resources)
- Girl Scout Music Videos
- Conducting a Flag Ceremony (Guide Book)
- Girl Scout Law at your Fingertips (Activity)
- Health and Fitness (Activity Sampler)
- Ceremony Ideas (Activity Sampler)
- Tips for All Grade Levels (Activity Sampler)
- Tips by Girl Scout Grade Level: Daisy, Brownie, Junior, Cadette, Senior, Ambassador (Activity Sampler)
- Helping Girls with ADHD (PDF)
- Questions to Facilitate Conflict Resolution (PDF)
- How to Tell if the Girl/Adult Partnership is Working (PDF)
- Dove Real Beauty Workshops (Resource Toolkit)
Helping you Work with Parents and Guardians
Strengthening your Qualities
Helping you Work with Other Volunteers
- Coaching Tips (Coming Soon!)
- Directing the Work of Others (PDF)
- Service Unit Toolkit: Recognizing a Job Well Done! (Programming for SU)
Brushing Up your Outdoor Skills
NEW GS Outdoor Badges! After voting on new badges and selecting the badge designs, girls can now work toward the five new Girls’ Choice Outdoor badges. The new Outdoor badges, as voted upon by girls across the country, include the following. Click on each one to get your free download of the badge requirements!
- Brownie: Outdoor Adventurer (a choice of outdoor activities)
- Junior: Horseback Riding
- Cadette: Archery
- Senior: Paddling (canoeing, kayaking, or paddle boarding)
- Ambassador: Ultimate Recreation Challenge (a choice five outdoor challenges)
- Outdoor Tips and Skills (Activity Sampler)
Videos below are provided by the Girl Scouts of Eastern Oklahoma council.
These videos are provided as a “refresher” only. Viewing the videos does not substitute for completing GSCP2P outdoor training, nor does it qualify a volunteer to take girls camping.
NOTE: While tornadoes are a serious threat in Oklahoma, not all GSCP2P camps will have tornado shelters.
NOTE: Many of the “perilous partners” mentioned do not live in North Carolina.
NOTE: Packing lists are found in GSCP2P Be Safe, Be Ready course handouts. Smoking and firearms are not allowed on GSCP2P properties. Girls and their dads do share lodging at GSCP2P “Dad and I” camporees.
- Setting Up Camp Food Safety (4 min.)
NOTE: Equipment lists are found in GSCP2P Be Safe, Be Ready course handouts.
NOTE: GSCP2P recommends sterilizing dishes with a sanitizing solution rather than immersing them in hot water.
NOTE: Trench and pit fires are commonly used in Oklahoma due to high winds which could cause fire to spread. in GSCP2P trenches and pits are more likely to fill with rainwater and are seldom used.
- Fire Building: Wood Fires (4 min.)
- Additional: Types of Fires (2 min.)
- Fire Building: Putting Out Fires (2 min.)
- Charcoal (2 min.)
NOTE: GSCP2P neither promotes nor prohibits the use of “quick-light” charcoal.
- Propane Stove (1 min.)
- Dutch Oven (6 min.)
- Box Oven (2 min.)
- Stick Cooking (2 min.)
- Foil Packets (2 min.)
- Kaper Charts (3 min.)
- Keeping Busy (2 min.)
NOTE: The DVD mentioned is provided to Eastern Oklahoma Girl Scouts only.